Sunday, November 4, 2012

We're off to see the Wizard


There are now two types of women in the world – those who have babies and those who are pregnant.  Most of them are young and that annoys the hell out of me.  Some of them seem older and they don’t seem to annoy me.  I keep going back to something I said in a much earlier post.  I try, as much as I can, to think that these women have possibly gone through a whole slew of mishaps and tragedies and that the baby they are holding or the pregnancy they are carrying is their little miracle.  It helps me to not feel so jaded, so envious, so pissed off and it does work surprisingly well.
Last night at a party, I met a very, very, very pregnant woman.  In fact, she is due on Thursday.  When she walked in, the first thing I noticed after her bulging belly was that both she and her husband had a little gray in their hair.  When I see that, I honestly feel a wave of relief wash over me, ‘Yay – they are old like us and look at that belly’!  After a bit of tiptoeing around her, I finally asked her how old she was, explaining that I knew it would seem odd, but that we are trying to have a baby and she looks about my age and I need some encouragement.
She was more than happy to tell me her story and it was quite a saga.  They had started trying to have a family when she was 36.  She is now 40.  After a number of miscarriages, they finally decided to go to Oregon Reproductive Medicine.  The problem was her egg quality (something that I wonder about for us).  She was given a 5% chance of actually conceiving and carrying a baby to term with reproductive assistance – these are not great odds, but they decided to go forward.  Well, after forking out $65k, enduring numerous failed IVF attempts, and 4 years later – they finally succeeded and their little girl will be here Thursday.  Listening to her I was filled with both hope and complete despair.  (A side note, they are naming her one of the names that we have been tossing around and hoping to use one day.)  
There are obvious parts of their story that I hope become a part of ours.  But there are many pieces of their story that I just don't see us being able to have.  
We had initially said we would wait until January 1st before heading back to Oregon Reproductive.  But then last Thursday happened, marking a year since the 1st pregnancy loss, and patience is just starting to feel like a pain in the ass.  Add to that the lack of success with the birth control pills to bring on my period and I just could not see the point in waiting a few more months.
We have an appointment on Friday at Oregon Reproductive to see a reproductive endocrinologist or The Repro Man as I like to say.  We had a round of blood work and ultrasounds done at my OB this week that will hopefully give The Repro Man some insight into our situation.  The good news is that hopefully he will be able to give us some definitive answers about what we are facing.  The bad news is that we are in no way, shape, or form able to cover the financial demands of an aggressive IVF protocol if that is what they say we need to do.   I’m not sure that we can even afford to pay out of pocket for the ultrasounds and lab work that would be needed and not covered under our insurance plan.  As far as my plan goes: no fertility treatments – diagnostic or otherwise.  Sucks. 
So, it is with a mixed heart that we head to our appointment this Friday.  We want answers, but some of those answers might just solidify the fate of our future family and it’s hard to think about that.  But not knowing is hard, too.  Brett is typically optimistic and I am being über realistic which really borders on cynical.  I want this to be easy for us for so many reasons and I’m just not sure that we have the wherewithal to face it if it doesn’t get a bit easier.  And by all accounts by those who have had to endure fertility treatments, it hasn't even begun to get hard.  
We really need a break, some good news, a reason to hope that this will happen for us.   Not sure Friday will bring it, but for now, no solid reasons to expect it won’t.  Wish us luck and buy us a lottery ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment