Sunday, April 26, 2015

4-0...Whoa, when did that happen?


I know this blog started out about the tiny person who we now know as Jack Elliot, but it’s hard when a moment like this comes to not have somewhere to reflect on it.  This past Friday marked my 40th birthday and it seems worthy of note. 

Crafty banner by Brett: "Oh Shit, Forty?!"
4-0.  Whoa.  That sounds crazy.  That’s how old Old People are.  At least that’s what I remember thinking when I was a teenager or in my 20s.   And yet, here I am 40.  And I honestly don’t feel any older than I did then. 

I know that getting on in age is usually one of those things that most people don’t look forward to.  I don’t know if I ever was that kind of person.  I certainly am not now.

I was thinking this morning about the last decade.  It’s hard to imagine or believe really.  My 30th birthday was celebrated just a few weeks after finishing 5 weeks of radiation and 6 months of chemotherapy for breast cancer.  My hair was barely growing in, I had just purchased my house, and 30 friends met me for dinner at Montage.  Yes, Montage - the only table in Portland that could fit 30 people.  There was certainly lots to celebrate and to be grateful for.


And here we are ten years later and that feeling of gratitude is here again.  I am so grateful to see 40.  For that year of my life, nearly a decade ago, I had doubts that I would see 30, let alone all the wonderful, crazy, hectic, adventurous years that have followed.  Since then, I have met the big love of my life, traveled and lived halfway around the world, met amazing people and friends who are scattered near and far, continued friendships with folks I’ve known from high school and even earlier, and have a wonderful baby boy who is the little love of my life.   

As I begin this next decade, it’s hard to know where it will take me.  A friend asked last night “Do you ever look around you and just think how great all this is?” motioning all around.   And I do.  I don’t take any of it for granted.  I am curious, optimistic and excited to see what the next decade holds.  Will we go back overseas?  Will we think about a sister or brother for Jack?  Will we decide to sell our house?  Will we ever retile the damn bathroom floor?  Oh, the places we may go.

Thanks to my dear friends who shared in and celebrated four decades with me this year – you have been with me through thick and thin, through some bad times and mostly, overwhelmingly good times.  I know I don’t see you nearly enough and time is always not on our side, especially in the last year.  But when we do get together, it's as if time doesn't exist and we are right back where we were.  

And a round of applause to my sweet husband and best friend – it’s not always easy, but damn, we do better than most.   Much love all, much love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment