Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Where are you spring?


Spring is attempting to break through the last few weeks, as winter desperately hangs on.  The daffodils are in full bloom, the crocus are out, and yet the past few mornings snow showers were falling.  Temperatures remain in the 30s at night, rising nearly 20 degrees during the day.  But still, it is chilly. It is nice to know that in less than a week, we will be warming our bodies on the sands of Mexico.  A much needed relief.  

I am a weather junky, so it comes as no surprise to me (or those who know me) that when I heard about charting your own temperatures to keep track of your monthly cycle - I was all over it.  It is the aspiring forecaster in me.

I have become an expert on temperatures.  I take mine every morning at 6 a.m.  I purchased a special Basal temperature months ago and went through many phases of diligence.  However, since February, I have been a die-hard temperature taker.  In some ways, it helps me feel like I have a little insight into my body.  I took my temperature chart with me to my latest acupuncture appointments to seek a 2nd opinion.  It appears that I might have ovulated this month.  And for the first time since December, my chart looks ‘normal.’  

Things you learn…Apparently, your basal body temperature is your lowest temperature of the day.  Women can actually chart their monthly cycle by looking at their waking temperature.  The temp readings are to the tenth degree, so it is quite subtle, but noticeable when you are desperate for some glimmer into your body’s inner workings.  Because I don't have a previous cycle to base my temperatures on, it is a bit difficult.  The only point I can go with is ovulation.  The short dip in temp and rise right after.  That is there.  Then, you hope the temps stay up for at least 10 days.  If you see this you know that 1) you have indeed ovulated, which means your body is producing enough estrogen to produce a follicle and 2) when the temperature rises right after, your body has released the egg and the follicle continues to produce enough progesterone to keep the uterus in prime condition to support a fertilized egg.  These are all things you want your body to do naturally and can see through your temperature - it's amazing to me.

Like the past 4 months, I am waiting to see what happens.  If all is well in my body, based on my temperature readings (another drop after the progesterone high), I should start my period any day.  What will be confirmed if I don’t is that there is most likely scarring.  I have heard it diagnosed as Asherman’s syndrome on the web and it looks like the hysteroscopy I will have in April is the procedure that will both diagnosis and treat it.  The odds are good that it will be successful and we will be successful in our hopes. 

I am hopeful and optimistic that this blasted period will come this month, but I am also trying to prepare myself for nothing.  I have the appointment scheduled; I know that if not this month, then in the coming months, blah, blah, blah.  But it would be so, so, so very nice if it did.   It would all at once give us a sense of closure and beginnings.  

I will continue to chant my affirmation - I am healthy.  

2 comments:

  1. I never thought I would be so jazzed for someone else's period. Going on vacation somewhere where you wear swimsuits is a good way to make it arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? Thanks miss. I have never been so thrilled myself. I told Brett, we should live it up because in the future, we won't want it to come. It's a special time ; )

    ReplyDelete