Friday, April 20, 2012

Small Celebrations


Dr. Johnson is awesome.  Yesterday after work, I noticed three calls from a blocked number.  I didn’t give it too much thought since how the hell could I call ‘blocked’ back?  As I pulled up into the driveway, ‘blocked’ called again.  It was Johnson. 

“Hey, how you feeling?” 

“Aahhh, you know, frustrated. I just wish we knew what was going on.”

“I know; I’m frustrated, too.  Not as much as you probably, but I am for sure.”

The thing about Dr. Johnson is that I believe her.  That’s part of why she is awesome, but also because even though I didn’t specifically ask her to, she decided to call a good friend of hers who is a reproductive endocrinologist.  She told him all about me and what has led us up to now.  He has agreed to see me on Thursday before the hysteroscopy the following Monday.  Hallelujah!  I don’t know why this makes me so excited.  I guess it’s just the feeling that an expert in fertility (or infertility, depending on if your glass is half empty) will be giving me some advice and know-how.  He came from Johns Hopkins – he must be a rock star, right?

When I spoke with his nurse this morning, she said that he would attempt the do the saline histogram that Johnson tried to do but was unable to do, along with an ultrasound.  I’m so hopeful that he will be able to do the histogram.  Even that will give us a great deal of information.  If he is able to see the uterine lining, he will be able to tell if there is scarring or any number of other possible physical issues that are the problem.  If there are, then we will go ahead with the hysteroscopy on Monday, but at least with an idea of what to expect once Johnson gets in there. 

And if there aren’t, then we know that it might have to do with hormones, ovaries, or something else.  And then, we can work that route.  Brett says it’s like “House.”  Right…just like it.  I just want to be optimistic that we will get some answers on Thursday.  I really, really hope so.

So now, it’s on to celebrate this blasted birthday.  Brett says I’m being a little Don Draperish about the whole thing. 

Zou Bisou Bisou. 

(And sorry if you don’t get the reference, but you really should be watching Mad Men!)

No comments:

Post a Comment